Friday, September 2, 2011

Seared Bell Pepper Salad

So I've been neglecting my blog lately, but not my cooking or photography, so expect more to come! This post is in response to many people asking me for this recipe, especially since I've been making it and taking it everywhere this summer. This salad changed my views on what a salad could be. I figured there wasn't much to change with salad... that sure you could throw some extra toppings on it, but it would always be just a salad. After this recipe, I now know that salads can be very different, tasty, and exciting... even for people who don't like salads very much.

I've pretty much had this salad once a week for the whole summer, and I'm still not sick of it! I thought that when asparagus went out of season that I wouldn't be able to have it anymore, but then I just added more bell peppers and it tasted almost as good. This recipe has both the original asparagus and non-asparagus versions (adapted from The New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated), but when asparagus is in season I would highly recommend trying it. Also, this recipe made me fall head over heels for shallots, which I like to think of as the love child of an onion and garlic. It has qualities of both, but is so much subtler and gentler than either... plus it's got such a pretty pink color you can't help but smile. :) Of course with this lovely description, I find myself lacking a picture that does shallots justice... this will have to be remedied!

Serves: 4 to 6 people

Time to cook: 20 minutes

Equipment:
knife and cutting board
skillet or pan (at least 8in bottom)
big spoon (preferably wooden)
coffee mug or bowl
fork or whisk
big bowl for tossing all of the salad
bowls or plates to serve

Ingredients:
6 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 red/ yellow/ or orange (my favorite) bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1 by 1/4-inch pieces
1 lb asparagus, tough ends snapped off, and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces (if asparagus is not in season, substitute in a green bell pepper)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 medium shallot, sliced thin
1 tbs plus 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
3 oz baby spinach (4 cups)
3 oz mixed lettuce (4 cups)
4 oz goat cheese, cut into small chunks (I love goat cheese, and if you do too, you will need more!)
You can also do snazzy things like adding edible flowers (pictured below)


Recipe:
1. Heat 2 tbs of oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke, add the bell pepper(s) and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes, stirring only once after 1 minute. This is pretty important and counter-intuitive, but you want to sear the pepper.
2. Add the asparagus, some salt and pepper and cook until the asparagus is browned and almost tender, about 2 minutes, stirring only once after 1 minute. (If you are using only bell peppers, then do another 2 minutes of cooking, only stirring once).
3. Stir in the shallot and cook until softened, about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Take off the heat and cool for 5-10 minutes.
4. Whisk with a fork the remaining 4 tbs of oil, vinegar, garlic, some salt and pepper together in a bowl (I like to use a coffee mug) until combined.
5. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the vegetables and dressing. Add goat cheese on top or on individual salads and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment